Sunday, October 29, 2006

So Grateful to be at Home.


Gorgeous 53" orchid from my friend Sharon.
It's Sunday morning, October 29th, 9:30 AM, here in sunny, cool South Florida.
This is the first day of daylight savings and I so grateful to be at my computer
posting to my blog.
I had gastic bypass surgery this past Wednesday. I came home on Friday.
I still feel like I was hit by a truck. It's especially painful getting up and down
or in and out of bed. But truth be told, each day is better than the day before.
All things considered, I doing just great.
I was on liquids for 3 days. Yesterday had my first pureed food. Sounds yummy
right? Well interestingly enough it absolutley didn't taste that bad. The point is
that this surgery is only a tool. I must follow directions and adhere to this new eating,
exercising food plan that has been presented me.
Really it's quite simple. Protien builds muscle. Muscle burns fat. Exercise builds
muscle. Exercise burns fat. Because of the facts, it is imperative to comsume the
amount of protein they have prescribed for me and my body mass index (BMI).
One will lose weight if they don't eat or consume fewer calories, but they will not lose
as quickly as they will consuming the correct of amount of protien,
How's that for a quick lesson?
I am treating myself like a new, precious little baby. My stomach is the size on a walnut,
the same size as a newborn. I am feeding myself like I would a newborn baby. Slowly.
No liquids till 60 minutes after meals. Three meals a day, consisting of 1 1/2 oz pureed
protein and 1 oz of pureed fruit on vegtable. Plus 2 snacks. One of 6 or 8 oz of low fat
plain yogert (surprisingly this even tasted good to me yesterday) and 8oz of skim milk
in a blender with protein powder equivilant to the balance needed for the day.
It is a little complicated at first, figuring out all these details, but I'm actually doing it
and that leaves me feeling rather empowered.
I'm still not smoking and am doing breathing exercises on these little plastic machines
they had me using in the hospital. Even those patience who didn't smoke had the same
breathing machines. Anyone who is extremely overweight has some kind of compromised
breathing and laying in a hospital bed they want to make sure you don't get pneumonia or
a collapsed lung. They also want you to be getting up and down. Moving around, preferably walking.
Not only for the exercise benefits but also to improve your lung capacity and prevent blood
clots.
Most of you probably know these things already. Most people tend to eat sensibly and practice
a healthy lifestyle.
For me this is a new world. A new beginning.
Now I'm going to get a little rest.
I'm kind of laughing after all this pontificating, here I am shutting down and resting.
Love to all my many friends who have seen me through this experience. I don't think I would
have made it this far without your support and kindness. Thank youi.
Last comment...I have Bob Dylan's new CD Modern Times, playing and I'm loving it.

1 comment:

dogfaeriex5 said...

you sound so wonderfully positive and that my dear means you will be successful on this new life plan..you are the sunflower, in the picture of you and your friend out to dinner, i could see the sun radianting from your face..i could sense that you are determined to do this and plow through it..you are the sunflower..
xoxo~k